Ultra Shield - Terrible customer service

I bought a La-z Boy leather recliner and was forced into getting the Ultra Shield protection for an additional fee. I was also given a care kit, with the instruction of using it every 90 days. The kit contained 3 plastic bottles, each with a capacity of 8 oz., two containing leather conditioners and one containing a cleanser.

For 5 years I regularly used the products as per instructions, and after that time the area of the headrest started deteriorating to the point that a tear was created.

I contacted Ultra Shield, and the operator who responded took all the necessary information, and came back with the verdict that I had not properly used the conditioner, because if I had I would have had to replace the two bottles of conditioner after one year. I told her that I could not possibly have used two 8 oz. bottles of conditioner on a single recliner in one year if I was using them 4 times in that year. She said the care kit specified that unless I used the two bottles in 4 applications that I would not be eligible for service. I looked at both the bottles and the box they came in, and there was no such stipulation.

THIS IS A BIG SCAM. DO NO USE THIS SO-CALLED "PROTECTION".

Reason of review: Warranty issue.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: No warranty.

Ultra Shield - $570.00 WASTED on this coverage

Update by user Sep 29

They are taking the technicians word over ours. At this point I am wondering if consumers need to video tape what technicians do when they come into your home.

They are saying we caused the huge water stain on the fabric when the technician actually caused it when he poured hot water all over the area. It's very disappointing and we will never do business with Lazy Boy or Ultra Shield again. We spent over $7,000.00 on the furniture purchase and $570 for a warranty which was, sadly, a waste of money. I had heard the quality of LaZBoy was much worse than it used to be, but was willing to give it a shot.

Now I find the same chair can be purchased on other sites for less money, free shipping and much more reputable customer service -- See Wayfair for numerous examples. My next purchase will be from Wayfair.com or Amazon.com.

I've never had to use a warranty for furniture (that should have been my first clue) but then to have LaZboy take such a hands off approach and the UltraShield vendor send very suspect looking individuals from New Jersey to Virginia, who then drove to the local Lowes to buy a spray is very unprofessional. I was promised a professional cleaning twice, but this still has not happened.

Original review posted by user Aug 29

If you buy at LaZBoy or anywhere else, please do not waste your money on Ultra Shield. LaZBoy will not help you with your issues either, they are very happy to pass the buck and will not honor anything at all that you were told by the lovely and personable sales person.

Ultra Shield came out three times, or their tech did, to clean my chair that had a stain covered by the warranty. First time: Tech walked in, took pictures and left. We never heard back. Two weeks later we called, a second tech came out with a spray bottle he purchased at our local Lowes, per his own admission.

He sprayed the stain, scrubbed, said the material was defective and we would get a new back for the chair. Then we heard nothing for weeks, so we called again.

Third time, tech came out with a different cleaner, poured scalding water all over the chair, sprayed from his Lowes bottle and again said the chair would not be repairable, fabric was defective and we would get a new back. Never heard from them again.

Product or Service Mentioned: Ultra Shield Furniture Protection Plan.

Reason of review: Damaged or defective.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Shell game, Total lack of desire to honor the warranty, Very poor customer service.

Ultra Shield - Don't waste your money

Update by user Jun 09

I bought the Ultra Shield Warranty at a Lazy Boy store when I purchased the recliner.

Original review posted by user Jun 08

I purchased a Lazy Boy Recliner as my husband was in the hospital having just had bypass surgery and need something that reclined to sit/sleep in once he got home. I was encouraged to purchase the ultra shield warranty so if there where any stains or rips in the funiture they would fix it.

I have never purchased a warranty on furniture before, but due to the situation, I thought it was good idea. I was completely wrong! Less than 2 years later the recliner had a hole in the material. (All the other furniture in my house is older than this recliner and none have holes in them.) I call Ultra Shield.

After 3 calls, I finally received a call back. They told me to e-mail pictures and the original receipt. I did that very day. They never responded.

I resent it 2 more times, no reponse. I called them. They told me I was denied as it was normal wear and tear. Seriously, normal wear and tear!?

An $1800 Lazy Boy Recliner should have a hole in it in less than 2 years!? Ultra Shield Warranties are a complete rip off and Lazy Boy should be ashamed to use them! For that matter I will never buy another Lazy Boy product again either. Way to expensive for a shoddy product!

I have better furniture in my house from Overstock.com! (No holes in my much older overstock furniture.)

Reason of review: Warranty issue.

Preferred solution: I want my recliner repaired. .

I didn't like: Scam product, Poor customers service and warranty, Does not honor warranty, Does not follow up with the customer.

Bought ultra shield big mistake

Style and Design

Had problem with recliner mechanism....had receipts and warranty ultra shield wouldn't help....big scam.... Worthless...won't cover anything as promised.....

Ultra Shield - Such a scam

1.2
Poster increased review rating.

Where do I begin?My king sized bed purchased 3.5 months ago mysteriously collapsed while I was laying it. I filed a claim since I purchased the Ultra Shield 5 year extended warranty and it was denied because manufacturing and frame issues aren't covered.

This company is a complete scam and steals peoples money because what is covered with a king sized bed ?! The bogus resolution specialist gave me examples of things that do not apply to a king sized bed. Poor customer service and UNPROFESSIONAL.

Take your business and money elsewhere. They have over 206 BBB complaints!!

Comments

Ultra Shield is a scam. They take your money and do nothing when you have a clam.

Called Ultra shield to report a tear in leather couch. The refuse to do anything. Want to send me a $69.00 dollar refund and they are done. They clam they can not find the material.Not my fault.

you sell a policy for x amount of time fix or replace. Don't know how this company stays in business.

ULTRA SHIELD IT'S COMPLETE SCAM !

I PURCHASED FURNITURE FROM SURPLUS FURNITURE ,AND THE SALES MAN HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT I PURCHASE THE'' ULTRA SHIELD FURNITURE CARE AND PROTECTION PACKAGE''. I CONTACTED ULTRA SHIELD REGARDING SOME DAMAGE TO MY SOFA.

THE DAMAGE FIT THE CRITERIA OF THE POLICY AND WE WERE DENIED. THEY DECIDED IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR THEM TO CANCEL OUR POLICY AND REIMBURSE A PRORATED AMOUNT OF WHAT WE PAID FOR THE INSURANCE. WHICH WAS ABOUT HALF OF THE PURCHASE PRICE.

AND NOW I'M READING ALL THESE REVIEWS I'VE REALIZE THAT ULTRA SHIELD IS A COMPLETE SCAM. DO NOT PURCHASE THIS INSURANCE IF YOU BUY FURNITURE FROM SURPLUS FURNITURE!

Product or Service Mentioned: Ultra Shield Furniture Protection Plan.

Reason of review: Return, Exchange or Cancellation Policy.

Ultra Shield - Furniture Protection Plan Review

Style and Design

Avoid buying ultra Shield warranty from La Z boy it is a scam . I called ultraSHIELD I have a warranty with three leather pieces I purchased they are telling me that on the scratches and damage to my 3 pieces they are wear and tear and they will not be covered that they only cover for accidental damage, and must be reported within five days of the damage.

This company is taking advantage of the consumers and they should be reported to the consumers bureau.

Avoid buying any warranties from this company at all cost. If anybody wants to sue them I am in!

Reason of review: Warranty issue.

Comments

rollo2016
Columbia, South Carolina, United States #1318884

No, avoid buy all warranties for anything. As you found out, most are but a means to relieve you of your money.

Ultra Shield - Leather Protection a scam

I purchased a leather couch and loveseat and was "sold" the Ultra Shield Leather protection plan. I was told it covered any stains, rips, tears, etc.

and that it really was great. NOT. I have a very small mark on my loveseat where a garment was thrown over and pulled the leather in a scratch that went thru the 1st layer of leather. it did not tear the backing but when I tried to claim it to get it repaired, I was told unless it punctured the whole couch they would not cover it.

So, what am I supposed to do? Stab the thing thru?

I am so mad I want to but they probably wouldn't cover that either. Never again and I am going viral with this.

Reason of review: Warranty issue.

Preferred solution: Pay for Repair.

I didn't like: Poor customer service and warranty, Not standing behind advertised warranty.

Ultra Shield - Furniture Protection Plan Review

Style and Design

DONT BUY THE ULTRA SHIELD WARRANTY!!! It's a complete waste and if the sales associate tells you it will cover you it's a lie.

I've been trying to get my claim of a pen stain and pet stains from the same weekend clean and 6 weeks later my claim is denied for excessive stains. Ultra shield is a complete joke of a company and is a true waste of money. And I look down on living spaces for pushing such a trashy worthless product. Oh and by the way if you perfectly fit in the small window of them letting you enter a claim then they will mail you a cleaning product that you can't get at the store.

They then expect you to clean it. Total waste of money and makes me not want to go back to Living Spaces

Massillon, Ohio, United States #1306934

Right. Extended warranties are most often simply cash cows for businesses. In my experience(s) vendors usually find some "reason" to deny service.

Ultra Shield - Sofa with Human Stain

Paid for Ultra Shield warranty when La Z Boy sofa was purchased in 2011. Maintained Ultra Shield protection with Ultra Shield products.

Stain appeared filed with Ultra Shield. First thing they wanted to know where I purchased the Ultra Shield products. I said I'm not sure where all came from since 2011 but we always used Ultra Shield products. They said your warranty is void because you didn't purchase Ultra Shield products from us.

Ultra Shield products can be purchased even on Ebay. The company is a fraudulent company that rarely allows warranty coverage.

I have filed a complaint with BBB, sent letters to the Chairman and all Board of Directors with La Z Boy. I also am in the process of filing a formal complaint with the Consumer Protection Agency.